Brexit News and Updates

Brexit will affect every single one of us. News stories and updates will be posted here

Here’s what we know about your holidays in the EU after Brexit.

The EU rules apply to travelling to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein as well.

Am I OK to book a holiday in the EU?

If you are planning to travel to the EU in 2020, you can expect everything to stay the same as it has been while the UK was still an EU member.

Under the UK-EU deal, there will be a transition, or implementation, period, when all the EU rules and regulations will still apply in the UK.

The transition will start after Brexit and last until the end of 2020. The deal allows for an extension by one or two years but the UK government has ruled that out.

During the transition, the two sides will negotiate their future relationship.

So if you are booking a holiday for 2021 or beyond, your rights will depend on the future UK-EU relationship, which is yet to be negotiated.

What documents will I need?

The main question most people want to know is whether or not they will need a visa to get to the EU.

You can breathe a sigh of relief.

You will continue to be able to travel freely with a passport until the end of the transition period, in 2020. This applies to UK citizens going to the EU and EU citizens coming to visit Britain. An identity card is also accepted, for those who have it.

Even from 2021 onwards, UK citizens on a short stay in the EU – up to 90 days in any 180 days – will be granted visa-free travel, if they are travelling for tourism. You wouldn’t be allowed to work or study during that period. The EU says this will remain the case for as long as the UK gives the same visa-free travel to EU citizens who want to visit the UK.

However, after the transition, British people will need to apply for and buy a visa waiver. The Etias (European Travel Information and Authorisation System), which will cost €7 (£6.30) and be valid for three years, won’t come into force until 2021 though. It’s not just for UK citizens but all the other non-EU countries that have visa-free travel in the Schengen area (22 EU countries plus Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Lichtenstein).


Overstaying Schengen visa can result in a number of consequences: unpleasant interviews, fines, deportation, entry ban. You can get the most accurate and updated information about these from your consular and immigration lawyers

User’s guide  – the visa calculator a really good, easy to use calculator to find out allowed times for multiple trips from the uk after Brexit

When it comes to travel to and from the Republic of Ireland, nothing will change. British and Irish citizens will be able to continue to travel freely within the Common Travel Area – the UK, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey.

Will there be bigger queues at the airport?

There will be no change to the current EU freedom of movement rules during the transition.

This means there will be no additional border checks, so the airport queues should not be longer.

If you are wondering whether to join the “EU” or the “non-EU” queue at your destination, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) says you will be able to use “EU/EEA passport gates, until at least 31 December 2020”.

What happens after 2020 will be determined by the UK-EU talks on future relationship.

Do I have to get a new passport?

No. Your current passport will be valid for travelling anywhere within the EU until its date of expiry, during the transition.

From 1 January 2021 you will need to have at least six months left on an adult or child passport to travel.

You can use this tool to check a passport for travel to Europe.

What about the European Health Insurance Card – EHIC?

The EHIC scheme will continue during the transition period.

About 27 million people in the UK have the EHIC, which entitles the holder to state-provided medical treatment in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. It covers both pre-existing medical conditions and emergency care.

What happens to your EHIC in the future will be decided in the negotiations on the future EU-UK relationship.

In its advice published in September last year, the government recommended those travelling to the EU buy travel insurance to cover health care “just as you would if visiting a non-EU country”.

What will happen with my EHIC after Brexit?

What will happen with compensation for airline delays?

Passengers will continue to be entitled to assistance or compensation if there are boarding problems, delays or cancellations.

The Department for Transport has confirmed anyone on a flight from the UK will have the same passenger rights that apply today, both during and after the transition.

What about ferries and Eurostar?

The government says your rights as a rail passenger using either domestic or cross-border rail services such as Eurostar will remain unchanged.

The EU regulation on rail passengers’ rights as well as on rules on ferries, coaches and buses is now incorporated into the UK law, so the protection for passengers will continue in the future.

Are mobile phone charges changing?

There’s currently a system in place that allows you to travel in the EU without being charged extra for “roaming” – so you can use your mobile for calls, text and data as you would in the UK.

This system will continue during the transition.

What happens after that will depend on what is agreed about the UK’s future economic relationship with the EU.

Even if nothing is agreed, the UK has passed legislation that would provide some safeguards to consumers, such as:

  • a £45-a-month limit for data usage abroad, after which they would have to opt in for more
  • informing consumers when they are about to reach their data allowance

What happens if I want to drive abroad – will I need a new licence?

If you want to drive on your holiday in Europe in 2020, you will be able to do so without any additional requirements.

What happens after the transition depends on the arrangements with each country.

Some countries will require drivers to have an International Driving Permit (IDP), especially for longer visits, which can be bought at post offices for £5.50.

Specific advice for each country is available from the government’s website.

For the UK citizens living in the EU, it’s a bit more complex. You may need to exchange your UK licence for a licence issued by an EU country.

Again, the government has issued specific advice for each country.

In some countries, if you wait until after the end of the transition period, you may need to take another driving test.

Is anything changing with duty free?

Duty-free shopping within the EU came to an end in 1999 and will not return during the transition.

Any changes after the transition will be determined by the EU-UK negotiations.

What about my pets?

Any pet passports issued in the UK will be valid during the transition.

If you’re travelling with your pet for the first time in 2020, you’ll have to visit your vet to get a pet passport.

Once the transition ends, the EU pet passports will no longer be valid.

The exact rules on what to do when travelling with your pet will depend on the future UK-EU deal.

The UK will be able to apply to the European Commission to become a “listed country” under the EU pet travel laws.

Being a listed country greatly eases travelling with pets.

The exact detail on what will happen if the UK becomes an EU listed country is explained on the government website.

The above information has been provided by and




0 # Ann Quantrill 2018-09-23 16:10
My feelings are, You cannot and never have been able to negotiate with a dictatorship....A "No Deal" will change the whole ball our favour.....The EU have a different set of rules towards an independent country.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # David C 2019-01-04 10:32
In what way is the EU a dictatorship? Because there are rules the UK has to adhere to?!!! If you think the UK is being dictated to by the EU, just wait until the UK hits WTO regulations.

As things stand, the UK helps shape EU rules but post Brexit, we'll still have to follow the rules to travel, work, trade, retire, study, live in or with the EU but won't have the opportunity to shape them to our best advantage.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Harvey 2019-10-26 18:58
HEALTH POLITICS MPs vote against protecting the NHS from privatisation
Despite cross-party support, the motion was voted down.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Andy Parnham 2018-09-23 16:22
God help us when we leave. Millions of job losses benefits for disabilities greatly reduced ,loads more push into poverty ,more crime, the list is endless . Well done to those who voted out cos It will get you too.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Gordon Rollo 2018-09-23 16:26
Passport readers were installed at Glasgow airport prior to brexit vote, so probably all airports installing them regardless of brexit.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Adrian Handley 2018-09-26 00:16
It’s all down to whether the U.K. government would decide to allow flights not flying to or from a country that they’re registered in.

Being in the EU enables any EU airline to operate flights to or from any EU airport, but I don’t believe there’s anything to suggest that Westminster would look to change this in the short term.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Cath Bussey 2018-10-31 08:40
I think it's too early to tell and speculations are rife.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Steve Enright 2018-11-27 20:31
I can't see what the fuss is about, the referendum paper was for a cross against 1 of 2 statements

Remain a member of the European Union

Leave the European Union

Leave Won! They had more XXs
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # owen murphy 2019-02-15 08:37
don;t worry about it, we ain't getting out
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Carol Carnegie 2019-02-17 11:00
I have an appointment for my residencia but it’s not until June. Will I be ok? I need to go back to the UK in April for a few days.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Admin 2019-02-17 11:02
That is really anyone's guess at the moment. The paperwork for your appointment may proved to be enough, but no-one could answer that for certain.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Julie Green 2019-02-17 11:06
I know I'm a bit thick on this stuff but how about those that live in Spain have an nie number and work but don't have residency ...would that mean they wouldn't be allowed to return to Spain should they go to UK for a break and when would this 90 day thing start ..from the 29th March this year ???
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Sophie Goode 2019-02-18 13:09
Hi Julie,

Your residency is proof you live in Spain full time and you have to meet the requirements to legally live here and to obtain residency. Without it, you do not legally live here. The British Government are encouraging anyone living in the EU27 to find out and follow the rules to staying permanently in another country- For Spain you can find out more info on GOV.UK- Living in Spain or you can go to and download a PDF guide on how to become a legal resident of Spain. If you do not do so, you will effectively be a tourist once the UK has left the EU and will have to abide by the Schengen area restrictions (90 days visa free travel, 90 days out).
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Jean Dormand 2019-02-17 11:11
I can’t see Holland on this list?. I’m confused as we didn’t need a visa when visiting friends in Holland.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Admin 2019-02-17 11:15
Thats because Britain were still in the EU. That is about to change
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Philip Aimure 2019-02-21 09:15
Thanks that's really helpful. Does it mean for instance that you can stay for say 60 days go back to the UK for a week and then return and you then have 90 days starting from the day you return?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Admin 2019-02-21 09:22
Our understanding is it is 90 days within any 180 day period. So if you stay 60 days and then return to the UK for 7, you would only have 60 days left on your return.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

Add comment

Security code