Travel insurance guide


Guide to choosing the right Travel insurance and coronavirus. page updated 15th December

Entry requirements into Spain from the UK (British Passport Holders).

If you do not have appropriate insurance before you travel, you could be liable for emergency costs including medical treatment. We recommend you buy your travel insurance as soon as possible after booking your trip.

Many travel insurers have now suspended the sale of new policies entirely. Only a limited number of insurers are offering policies that cover COVID-19 check out:-

Holiday Extra - In conjunction with Battleface Insurance 

Our Covid bubble protection provides all the protection to you need when travelling today in the new normal. 

.  Emergency Covid medical expenses while abroad

. Repatriation if you catch Covid-19 and its medically required for you to get home.

. Cancelling your trip if you or anybody covered on your policy catch Covid before travelling 

Rush Insurance -  Underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities Group 

Staysure (no travel disruption extension for new customers, but emergency medical treatment for coronavirus is covered) 

Trailfinders (cover for some coronavirus-related cancellation and medical expenses)

Santander (cover for some coronavirus-related cancellation and medical expenses)

Battleface Insurance ( new policy will give travellers the peace of mind they have been looking for. including to countries currently advised against traveling to by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) for travellers up to and including age 59, includes cover for medical expenses caused by or resulting from COVID-19)

SAGA (emergency medical cover) are among providers who do.

Nationwide -  cover if your destination restricts its borders before you travel for reasons relating to the pandemic

AllClear - If the FCO changes its advice before you travel

Allianz Assistance - worth checking out


Hays Travel - The new cover, which will be offered as standard to customers through Rush Insurance Services and Allianz Insurance, will include provisions for cancellation or curtailment of holidays, emergency medical expenses and repatriation due to Covid-19 or other epidemics and pandemics. The insurance will also cover cruise holidays when clients are confined to their cabins or if they miss port calls and pre-paid excursions.


Jet2insurance are one of the only UK insurance providers that offer cancellation and medical cover for COVID-19. So, if you or your party become ill with COVID-19 before you travel or while you’re abroad, rest assured that our insurance has you covered.

Plus, we now include cover for travel where FCDO advises against all but essential travel as a result of Coronavirus (COVID-19) for European Single Trip policies.

Guide to Choosing the RIGHT Travel Insurance

If you have a trip booked for later in the year but do not have insurance, you might consider looking for a policy to provide cancellation cover for a reason other than a coronavirus-related issue, such as bereavement or divorce.

However, you would need to scrutinise the policy wording to check what cover was provided and confirm your understanding with the insurer before buying. You would also have to consider the fact that you might not be able to undertake the trip anyway because of the pandemic restrictions, in which case you would not be able to claim.

If you’re diagnosed with coronavirus before you are able to get home to the UK, you will need to seek medical treatment first. If you fall ill, tell your insurer immediately and they will advise you of your options.

As far as travel insurance is concerned, your situation will depend on where you are, what treatment you receive and your medical prognosis.

Insurers are responding differently to the situation as it develops, so you’ll need to ask them for advice and support.

What if I contract Coronavirus whilst abroad?

If you fall ill in Europe, your European Health Insurance Card will entitle you to treatment on the same terms as a local citizen (this will remain the case at least until the end of the Brexit transition period, which runs until 31 December 2020).

If you are further afield, your travel insurance should meet any medical expenses you incur, provided you did not ignore government travel advice. You may also be able to claim for additional expenses incurred because of your prolonged stay overseas, such as bed and board for other members of your party.

If you are placed into quarantine abroad, you may also be able to claim for out-of-pocket expenses, but as ever, you’ll need to check with your insurer.

Guide to choosing the right Travel insurance

Travel to the EU EHIC/GHIC Card

Check for the latest information on EHIC/GHIC online, or by phone on 0300 330 1350.

Remember that the EHIC/GHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is not valid on cruises.

You should make sure your travel insurance covers your healthcare needs.

When taking out travel insurance you should also check:  the level of healthcare cover it includes, the travel disruption cover it includes,  the terms and conditions

Contact your insurer if you have any questions about your travel cover.

Travel insurance guide

You have booked your next holiday and now it is time to start thinking about getting some travel insurance. By having the right level of cover when you travel means that you can relax and enjoy your time away, without those niggling ‘what ifs’.

But choosing the right cover can be tough, especially with so many different policies available. Are you going with family or friends? Are you going to Europe or travelling further afield? Will you be taking part in any sporting activities? These are the type of questions you need to ask yourself before deciding on an insurance policy. All insurance policies differ in terms of cover and cost depending on what you’ll be doing and where you’re going. So before you buy your travel insurance read our guide for help finding the best cover for you.

Guide to choosing the right Travel insurance - Why do I need travel insurance?

Travel insurance is intended to protect you in case something goes wrong. It can cover you for a range of problems such as medical costs if you are taken ill or injured abroad and holiday horrors such as lost luggage or stolen possessions.

Some policies can even provide cover for unexpected issues such as redundancy and extra costs for pet care in cases of longer delays.

The average cost if you fall ill on holiday and need hospital treatment is approximately 1,200€ per night at a private hospital here in Spain : a fall in Spain, resulting in a broken hip could cost £15,000 for hospital treatment and flights. Without travel insurance many travellers would have to borrow from family and friends if things didn’t go to plan, a stress most of us could do without. 

The different types of holiday insurance

Single trip – If you are planning one holiday a year a single trip policy may be suitable.

Annual insurance – If you are a frequent traveller then an annual multi trip policy may be suitable, this can be cheaper than buying multiple single trip policies. This can also cover you for short UK breaks but you would need to check your policy.

European or worldwide cover – European cover is often cheaper than worldwide insurance. Many of the popular holiday destinations such as Egypt, Morocco, Turkey and Tunisia are not always covered by a European policy. You will need to check that your intended holiday destination is covered under the correct cover.

Single, couple or family policy – If you travel with a partner or your family look into getting a joint policy as this can bring costs down. The definition of ‘family’ can differ from various insurers so check the small print and find out who is covered before you buy.

Active – If you will be taking part in any sporting activities or going on excursions let your insurance companies know so that you can check that you have the appropriate level of cover. Some insurance companies include certain activities but charge extras for others. If you plan to be active whilst on your holiday it is essential you check that the activities you want to do is included in the policy you have bought. If it is not included you may have the option to pay extra to have this included but this depends on the insurance policy. It is important to always book trips abroad with a reputable supplier, and, if in doubt, check with the insurance company.

Older travellers – Policies that cover older travellers can prove costly. You may want to try a specialist insurance firm to compare costs and what is covered as these policies often include a number of common pre-existing medical conditions.

The level of cover you need

You need to ensure you choose the right type of cover for your individual needs. The cheapest policy might not always be best for you. Travel insurance can vary a great deal and extras can be added on to them, but it is important that your policy should have the following basic level of cover:

Your travel insurance should cover:

emergency treatment and hospital bills, which can be expensive. Check whether your policy covers treatment in public or private hospitals.

emergency transport, such as ambulance fees or emergency repatriation on medical grounds

getting home after treatment if you cannot use your original ticket

reasonable costs for a family member or friend to stay with you or travel out to accompany you home if required

temporary emergency dental treatment for the relief of immediate pain

24-hour assistance helplines to offer support and advice about appropriate treatment

repatriation costs in the event of death abroad

Before you travel, make sure you declare any pre-existing medical conditions to your insurer and answer questions about your medical history in full. 

Personal liability – In case you need to pay for any damage or accidents you cause.

Cancellation or curtailment – In case you need to cut short or cancel your holiday or your hotel or flights are cancelled. This could be used if you lose your job, a close relative falls ill while you are away or need to come home earlier than planned. 

Medical emergency – To cover the cost of treatment due to sudden illness or through an accident you have whilst on holiday. Your cover should also include repatriation in case you need to be flown back to the UK.

Pre-existing medical conditions – You need to declare any health issues you have when applying for travel insurance, failure to do this may make your policy invalid or may mean you are not protected by your policy in the event of a claim.  You will find a list of Insurance companies that cover pre-existing medical conditions HERE

Delays – This coverage is designed to cover you for long delays.  You may need to get the airline to confirm this in writing and also keep any receipts for items you’ve bought due to the delays.

Loss or theft – This can cover the cost of replacing money, personal items or replacing luggage should anything be lost stolen or damaged.

Emergency assistance – Most insurance companies offer a 24 hours emergency helpline. This can be a real life saver when you are in a different time zone.

Every year we see in the newspapers cases where holiday makers have been refused hospital treatment or been given huge medical bills due to travelling uninsured or not disclosing pre-existing medical conditions. Can you really afford not to take out travel insurance?

What ever policy you choose make sure it also covers your personal belongings and baggage during your trip in case they are lost, stolen or damaged.  This can be purchased as an extra add-on with many policies.  Sometimes you may be covered under your home insurance if you have cover for items away from home (usually called personal belongings) however you would need to contact your home insurance provider.


All policies differ greatly and what is covered by one policy, isn’t guaranteed to be covered by others. It is vital that you are thorough when reading documentation and if in doubt, ask. This guide is intended to help you chose the right policy for you but it important to do your research when choosing a policy and ensure you understand exactly the level of cover you are buying.

Guide to choosing the right Travel insurance

Visiting Europe from 1st January 2021

Compensation if your travel is disrupted

Some travel insurance policies only cover certain types of disruption. Check your provider’s terms and conditions to make sure you have the cover you need if your travel is cancelled or delayed.

Your consumer rights will not change from 1 January 2021. This means that if your travel is cancelled or delayed you may be able to claim a refund or compensation. Check your booking’s terms and conditions to find out more.

If your travel company goes out of business

You’re protected if you buy a package holiday and the company goes out of business. You get this cover even if it’s an EU company, as long as the company targets UK customers.

Otherwise, you can claim compensation if you used your credit card. You’ll continue to be able to claim for payments between £100 and £30,000.

Join the Benidorm Seriously Facebook Group

Have Your Say

Feel free to express you opinions or ask questions in the comments box below

Monitored "almost" 24/7/365

What would you like to share today?
You can also favorite these post types to have quicker access
Write something
  Add photos   Click or drop photos here to upload.
Pending Preparing to upload... Uploading... Upload failed. (see details) Upload completed.
( left)
Type a hashtag to start searching for tags
Keyword does not match any tags
Type a name of your friend
No friends found by that name
Keyword does not match any emoticons
Pinned Items
Recent Activities
  • Tracy Ann updated an article
    Post is under moderation
    Stream item published successfully. Item will now be visible on your stream.
There are no activities here yet
No Internet Connection