White Asparagus Salad with Creamy Tomato Dressing
Christmas Eve Feast
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 5 large plum tomatoes—4 cut into wedges, 1 coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound green beans, preferably romano
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- One 12-ounce jar or tin of white asparagus
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- In a blender, puree the coarsely chopped tomato with the lemon juice, mustard and sugar. Add the mayonnaise and the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and blend the dressing until thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the green beans until tender, 4 minutes. Drain and let cool to room temperature, then drizzle the beans lightly with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the beans, tomato wedges, onion and asparagus on a platter. Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and serve.
The dressing can be refrigerated overnight. Serve lightly chilled or at room temperature.