How to Apply for  Residencia

23rd October - Important updates There are NO longer appointment in Benidorm even for all of those who have online appointments booked.  All appointments are now in ALICANTE. The consulate are hopefully looking into the matter.  This as you can imagine is causing even more frustration and outrage.

If you are planning on living in Spain for 3 months or more then you must apply for your residencia. Please NOTE – New rules and regulations are constantly being introduced.  Nevertheless, at the time of writing this information is correct (2019)

Obviously new rules will apply depending upon what happens with Brexit such as the amount of money needed to apply for Residencia - Non EU need a Minimum of 26,000€ in the bank, with a further 6,000€ per family member for residence certificates.  Will will try and keep everything as updated as possible.

You now need to make an appointment on line before coming in person; otherwise you will not be served  Use this link –   Please NOTE, this link does not work correctly from mobile devices.

Top tip right click and translate these pages into English.

In this area UK nationals are currently unable to register as a resident as appointments are not available. If you don’t yet have a residence certificate, the advice is to make sure you have proof you were living here before we leave the EU (eg padrón registration or utility bills), and to keep checking the online appointment system for new appointments.

*9th October 2019 British Consulate Alicante Updates

We have received a number of emails and calls from frustrated customers regarding the lack of residency appointments available in their area and rumours that appointments are being turned away.

We have confirmed that all residency appointments for the month of October will be seen and EU residency certificates issued. However, people have to make sure they book their appointments using the correct nationality (UK) and with all their correct personal details. If there are any details that do not match, the applicant will be turned away.*

  • NOTE - Please note the drop down menu options for above are constantly changing

We understand that at some point in October, appointments under the POLICIA – CERTIFICADO UE (EXCLUSIVAMENTE PARA REINO UNIDO) will become available, only for UK nationals who want to get their residency certificate before the end of October. This is to allow as many people as possible to get residency before we leave the EU.

However, until this happens, British nationals can continue to look and book appointments using the normal POLICIA – CERTIFICADO UE option.

If there is nothing available until after the end of October, a message will appear stating that it is not possible to book due to EU Exit. If this happens, please do keep trying as most offices unblock some appointments early each morning.

  • Click Aceptar
  • Click Entrar
  • Fill in your information:
    • Choose PASAPORTE and enter your passport number below
    • Nombre y apellidos = name and surname
    • País de nacionalidad = your nationality
    • In Caracteres enter what you see on the picture above
    • Click Aceptar
    • choose your date and time
    • add your email address, you will get a confirmation email sent to you with the time and date, print this off and take it with you


Fill in form 790 HERE 

Print all 4 pages and pay the necessary fee at the bank. Take your passport with you in case they ask for extra ID.

Top tip, DO NOT pay this until a couple of days before your appointment in case the price changes and you have to go through this part of the process again.

This form can now only be filled in online and printed out to take to the bank. It is no longer given out at police stations nor immigration offices and cannot be filled in by hand.

The form is very quick to complete and can be filled in by clicking here. You complete it then press the blue button at the end to get a copy you can print out and sign.

Guidance notes: As the form is in Spanish, below  is some advice in English for guidance only (as at March 2018 and subject to change).


*Update 9th October 2019 - The supporting documentation required has not yet changed and if any British national is missing any paperwork, the police station should allow applicants to bring these back within a few days without the need to book an additional appointment.*

Completed EX18 form N.I.E certificate, Passport Old residencia card if you have one If employed an employer certificate or statement of employment from your employer. If self employed you will need evidence that you are self employed by your registration on the Economic Activities List (Censo de Actividade Economicos) or proof of your registration in the Mercantile Registry (Registro Mercantil). 2 coloured passport size photos.

25th February 2019 - This week, the National Police have changed the criteria to issue a Residency Card and they would not issue any without the following information due to BREXIT.

If you are an EMPLOYEE in Spain, you will need to provide a Vida Laboral showing you have been working at least, in the last 3 months more than 20 hours per week.

If you are SELF EMPLOYED in Spain, you will need to show the Vida Laboral for 3 months plus your registration for 036 or 037.

If you are a PENSIONER living in Spain you will need the Certificate S1, a certificate of the pension you do receive and a bank statements of the account where the pension is paid for the last 12 months.

If none of the above apply, you will need to show you have enough resources to live by yourself with a minimum income of 7,000 € if you are alone, 14,000€ if it is yourself and partner, If there are 3 people in your family you will need 17,500€, for 4 members in your family it would need to be 21,000€ … You will also need health insurance including the words “El seguro médico contratado incluye asistencia primaria, especialidades, ingresos hospitalarios e intervenciones quirúrgicas”. You will also need to show the receipt of the payment or a certificate from the insurance company as proof the insurance has been paid.

The supporting documentation required has not yet changed and if any British national is missing any paperwork, the police station should allow applicants to bring these back within a few days without the need to book an additional appointment.

IN CASE YOU WANT TO RENEW YOUR RESIDENCY CARD TO HAVE A  PERMANENT ONE, ie you have held a residency card for 5 years or more -  you will need  bank statements from your Spanish Bank account showing all the expenses you had for the last 24 months to demonstrate you really have been in Spain for that period.














You will need to speak to the Social Security office (INSS) If you are not in work then you will need to provide evidence that you have sufficient health coverage, such as private health care or your S1 form from the UK (apply for your form via the Overseas Healthcare Team in the Department for Work and Pensions on 0191 218 1999)

29th January – Important updates, S1 certificate (formerly known as E106)

An S1 certificate helps you and your dependents access healthcare in the EU/EEA country where you live. If you have an S1 certificate, it will be valid until end of October 2019.

After this date, the certificate may not be valid, depending on decisions by member states. You should go to the NHS website for the latest information on each country.

You will also need to provide evidence that you are not going to be a burden on the Spanish State by providing you have sufficient income to support yourselves. Normally a bank statement showing your regular income or your assets to be able to support yourself should be sufficient.  The figure required seems to vary depending upon who you talk to, we have been advised of 6,000€, 7,000€ and 8,000 Euros.

Non EU need a Minimum of 26,000€ in the bank, with a further 6,000€ per family member for residence certificates

Do not forget to take 2 copies of everything with you. In the majority of cases you will only need 1, however, its always best to be on the safe side as they will not provide copying services so it will mean a return trip.

WHERE TO GO - if you appointment is in Benidorm

Police Station of Benidorm C/ Apolo XI, 36. C.P. 03500 – Benidorm. Tel. 965855308 Open to the public from Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 14:00

How To Change Details On Id/nie Registro De Extranjeros

To communicate change of address, nationality or civil status, you can download this form, fill it out and take it with your passport and copies, original padron not more than three months old to Foreigners Office (Extranjeria) desk at Policia Nacional.

Once you have had your residencia for a period of 5 years you can change it to a Permanent status.

Residencia – All your questions answered