How to – Apply for your Spanish Social Security Number

Why do I need it?

Every person who works for a registered company or is self-employed in Spain is required to have a Social Security Number, called anúmero de afiliación de la Seguridad Social. Social Security is generally paid for by an employer. This number also helps track pensions, unemployment and sick days, as well as maternity or paternity leave.

Any foreigner working or studying in Spain is entitled to a Spanish Social Security number, necessary for tax purposes as well as contracting and all procedures related to labor and work. Petitions are made at the Instituto Nacional de Seguridad Social, which also handles pensions, disability, motherhood and fatherhood, death and survival and public health care.

The Spanish Social Security system benefits all workers who are active within it. Each calendar day cotizado, that a worker has been employed, counts towards your Spanish pension and unemployment benefits, so be sure to check that your place of work has given you the activation, called an alta.


Any citizen or worker, whether employed by another person or self -employed, who does not already have a social security number may request one.

The Employer must request the social security number of the person they intend to hire, if they do not already have one.

What is involved – Form TA1, must be signed by the applicant –  which you can download here.

It looks impressive, especially if you do not speak Spanish, but is in fact quite easy to fill in if you know what you are supposed to do: give your name, ID details and reason for requesting for a social security number.
Fill the form to your best, and print another one for when you will go to the relevant office.

Help! How do I fill out the form?

Here’s the important information you’ll have to fill out:

Section 1: Personal data

1.1  : First Surname / Second Surname (if applicable) / First name

1.2 : Gender (M for mujer or female, V for varón or male)

1.3 : Type of ID (mark with an X): Spanish DNI number / Foreigner’s Card / Passport

1.4 : Number on your identification document

1.5 : Social Security number (if applicable)

Date of birth / father’s full name / mother’s full name

Place of birth / province of birth / country of birth

1.6 Disability (if applicable) / nationality /maiden name (if applicable)

1.8 Street Address

1.9 Email address /option to have information sent by text message / Mobile phone number

Section 2: Relevant Social Security Data

Mark with an X: Activation of Social Security / Number Assignment for Social Security / Change in data

2.1: Cause for data change (if marked X)

2.2 Listing of any accompanying documentation

Section 3: Option to have data sent to a second address added for communication purposes

At the bottom left, the solicitor and his or her employer must, write the place and date, then sign in this format:

En Sevilla, el 5 de julio de 2016

By filling out a form and presenting your original and a photocopy of a passport or another form of ID, you will be given a número de afiliación de la seguridad social. Keep in mind that you won’t be given an actual card like you might have in your home country, so be sure to keep the official form with your number for tax purposes.

Documentation needed –

  • National ID and Passport if you have both,
  • Residency papers:If you are a EU citizen, only the NIE number if you already have one. For non-EU, Residency and/or Visa.
  • Not required officially but always good to have with you if you have them: rental contract, employment contract, escrituras if you have bought a property in Spain.

(always take 2 copies with you just in case they are needed, as these offices do not provide copying services)

Where is it processed

In Person – The application and documentation must be presented at  the office of the Social Security Treasury General or Administration. which is local to the person or company applying for the number.

On-Line – By accessing the e-office´s “Allocation of Social Security Number” service, using a digital certificate

  • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Teléfono: 966815454
  • Fax: 966815501
03501 Benidorm (Alacant/Alicante)

The decision on the application will be made and the applicant notified within 45 days, after this period the application shall be understood as being accepted.


Health care is one of the biggest assets of being in the social security system, and your employer covers the necessary fee for your basic care. In most regions, general doctor visits and emergency care are free at public clinics and hospitals.

Prescriptions and surgeries are not covered under the social security umbrella and must be paid for after care has been administered, though often at a reduced cost. Note that dental care is not part of the social security system and must therefore be paid out of pocket. For more information, contact a social security office in your region.

Every autonomous region has its own regulations for the administration and compensation, as well as rules related to the type of contract you possess, so visit your nearest office or ask a lawyer.


0 # BERT 2017-12-20 23:18

I want to get my SSN immediately but my problem is the NIE expired and after I reapplied, I got the letter from them telling me it's been renewed for another year but I have to go to a police station to submit the empad in order to get the new card and the appointment for that is one month from now. So, my question is, will they accept the letter and the appointment email along with my expired NIE?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # admin 2017-12-21 11:00
Your NIE number stays the same for life it is only the piece of paper that expires. To be honest I am not sure they will accept it all you can do is try, it may just depend who you get on the desk at the time. Good luck
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Dan Graham 2019-03-23 17:43
Yes they will tell them you need it urgently for work
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Ravikumar 2018-10-12 13:03
Hola my self Ravikumar and i live here in spain in last 1 month and my doubt this i want to get my social security number but my resident card is other Eu Country so can i process for socail security number to apply? gracias
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # admin 2018-10-12 13:08
Hi, The process should be the same but the Social Security office will be able to advise you
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Carol Carnegie 2019-01-27 22:55
I went myself to obtain my social security number having filled in the correct form beforehand and used google translate when I was there but the chap who dealt with me was lovely and spoke English most of the time to me but it does depend on who you get on the day as to whether it’s hard work or not but I was very lucky and got mine same day.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Kevin Dean 2019-02-01 00:26
Hi, I had and have still got a social number that I used back in 1997. Could anyone tell me if this is still valid ? To use this year 2019.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Jill Shail 2019-02-01 13:12
Just finding out for you Kevin x
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Jill Shail 2019-02-01 13:34
Yes your social security number like your NIE is for life. If you don't know the number then visit the local security office they will be able to help. xx
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Kevin Dean 2019-02-01 19:43
Thank you Jill. Yes I do know it, I had an NIE number also but have forgot it, so ive applied to get a new one. Once again thanks for your help..
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Jill Shail 2019-02-01 19:45
Your welcome. They will issue you with the same NIE number and then you can go into Social security to get that too. x
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Kevin Dean 2019-02-15 10:07
Hi, Has anyone opened a none resident santander bank account in benidorm recently, and what documents did you have to show. I believe as none residency you only can get a basic account, can you still transfer money from uk to a basic account in spain, and maybe whats the charges.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Admin 2019-02-15 10:22
Hi Kevin, it is quite some time since I opened a non residence account in Santander. At that time I only needed to show a passport. That may have changed now. During the time I held a non residence account I transferred regularly from a UK bank without issues. I would assume that is still the same. In fact since changing the account to a residents account the only thing that changed is a reduction in charges. This may help
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Ursula 2019-03-19 23:01
I am a representative of an employer that hired a Spanish national on an "as needed" basis. The last time he worked for me was July 2018. He provided me with a social security number at that time. I now want him to work this June 2019, and I have given him a contract. I have a TA-2 Recognizing that he has a social security number and my company is his employer. Do I need to provide a 'CONTRATO DE TRABAJO TEMPORAL' to Social Security prior to his start of work? In other words, do I have to register him with social security or does paying the employer contribution fulfill the requirements?

Thank you
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Tracy Ann 2019-03-19 23:16
You would be best getting advice from a Gestor that way you will get the correct information as contracts are quite a difficult subject to cover as there are so many different types.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Ursula 2019-03-20 00:04
Thank you for your reply
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Tracy Ann 2019-03-20 00:30
Hope you get everything sorted out x
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Nicole 2019-03-29 17:56
Hey! I have just managed to obtain my social security number today as they gave me this the same day. I have an appointment to get my NIE in June. Can I work with just my social security with proof that I have an appointment to obtain my NIE later?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # Tracy Ann 2019-03-29 20:53
That would be down to the individual employer, but most now require residencia as they can get a large fine (up to 10K) if found by by the authorities for employing staff without all the correct papers.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

Add comment

Security code