Spanish Garlic Prawns
Gambas al ajillo
900 g raw king prawns, peeled and butterflied
44.37 ml parsley, chopped
4.92 ml chili flakes (smoked paprika) or 4.92-9.85 ml pimentos (smoked paprika)
59.16 ml olive oil
4-6garlic cloves, thinly sliced
59.16-88.74 ml dry sherry, fino is good
Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
Preparing prawns:To butterfly the prawns simply slit the prawns lengthways but don’t go all the way through and remove the vein.
Divide the prawns, garlic, chilli or pimenton, sherry and olive oil between 6 small ovenproof dishes or use 1 large one.
Cook for 8 – 12 minutes, depending on the size of the dish or dishes, or until pink and sizzling.
Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with crusty bread & lemon wedges.
- 1⁄4cup olive oil
- 1⁄4cup butter
- 1 1⁄2lbs prawns, peeled and deveined
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced (more if you are a garlic lover)
- 1⁄4cup fresh lemon juice
- 1teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 4tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- In a wide, shallow sauté pan over high heat, warm the Olive Oil and the Butter; add the Prawns and Garlic and sauté quickly for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, paprika, pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish, sprinkle with the parsley and serve at once.