Spanish Tapas Baby Calamari with Garlic and Parsley
Serves 6 as a snack
500g/1lb 2oz baby calamari/ squid
3 cloves of garlic
large handfull of parsley
Your absolute favorite, most flavorful extra virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste
- Firstly, prepare the garlic, parsley and lemon. The lemon should be cut into wedges for serving. Finely chop the parsley and dice the garlic.
Remove the stems/ germs/ sprouts (referred to in many different ways) from the garlic cloves before using them. Whether or not they’re green (but certainly if they are) they apparently add a certain bitterness to dishes, which can be considerably enhanced by removing them.
To do this, slice the cloves in half lengthways and use the tip of a sharp knife to lift it out from each half and discard it.
2. For the baby calamari, depending on the size of your pan, this may need to be divided in two:
3. Once the calamari starts to get some colour, add the garlic and turn the heat down to about 2/3 full temperature. Press the calamari against the pan slightly if necessary, to get some colour.
4. Add a little extra olive oil as needed. then sprinkle the parsley over the calamari. Once the parsley starts to get crispy remove from the heat.
5. Pour extra olive oil over the calamari, a little crushed sea salt and it’s ready to be served together with the lemon.
Serve with fresh crusty bread.