Thomas Cook Refunds - How to claim
If you had an ATOL protected booking with Thomas Cook, you may be entitled to make a claim for a refund. This could be for a full refund for your forward booking or for costs you incurred completing your holiday if you travelled from the UK after 23 September.
Please note that different claims processes apply for different types of bookings. Only the lead passenger on the booking – the first person named on the booking confirmation - can make a refund claim. Please read the following information carefully, navigate to the page which best describes your booking (through the links at the bottom of this page) and only make a refund claim to us if your type of claim is described on this website.
Thomas Cook owned and operated a number of different travel companies. The ATOL numbers for these were:
- Thomas Cook Retail Ltd - ATOL 0020
- Thomas Cook Tour Operations Ltd - ATOL 1179
- TCCT Retail Ltd - ATOL 10585
- Future Travel Ltd, trading as Freedom Personal Travel Advisors - ATOL 5704
- Freedom Travel - ATOL 6042
Do not make a refund claim through ATOL if:
- Your holiday is ATOL protected by Freedom Travel Group, ATOL 6042. Hays Travel Group has been appointed by ATOL to take over all ATOL protected bookings from Freedom Travel Group. This means your travel agent will contact you directly to organise a replacement holiday or provide advice on how to claim your refund. Your booking documents or ATOL certificate should confirm whether you are protected by Freedom Travel Group.
- Your holiday is ATOL protected by another travel company. Thomas Cook’s travel agencies sold holidays organised by other travel companies, as well as its own package holidays. Make sure to check which tour operator you are booked with and direct all enquiries to them. Your booking documents and ATOL certificate will confirm the tour operator you are booked with and you should contact that company regarding your booking.
- Your booking is not ATOL protected. Accommodation-only bookings, holidays without a flight, most flight-only bookings and any other payments unrelated to an ATOL protected package will not be ATOL protected. Please check your booking documents for confirmation of ATOL protection. If you are ATOL protected, you will have been sent an ATOL certificate or a link to download one.
The CAA have developed a simplified, online refunds form for all refunds to reduce processing times. Online refund forms are available on the page which best describe your circumstances, as set out below. The form is open to anyone whose holiday was ATOL protected. Once we have all the information we need, we aim to pay back valid refunds within 60 days. Please note that no other refund forms will be accepted. If you have already written to us or sent in a claim, you will need to submit your claim again via this online process.
If you are unable to use the online claim forms, please contact our dedicated Thomas Cook call centre:
Phoning from the UK (reduced rate): 0300 303 2800
Phoning from overseas: +44 1753 330 330
If you have a valid claim, one of three scenarios will apply to you. Please ensure you select the option relevant to you as the information provided is specific to your circumstances.
- I was abroad when Thomas Cook ceased trading on Monday 23 September
- I was due to travel after Monday 23 September and booked directly with Thomas Cook in store, online or over the phone
- I was due to travel after Monday 23 September and booked with a non-Thomas Cook travel agent or Future Travel Limited
The online refund process is applicable only to ATOL protected passengers.
If your booking was not ATOL protected (e.g. a flight only booking), please see our guidance on contacting your card issuer or travel insurer.
The above information has been provided by the Civil Aviation Authority