TIE card information


 Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero

If you live here, but don’t already have a green residency certificate, you must apply for the new TIE card as soon as possible.

If you require assistance applying for your TIE card Contact -


What is the difference between the old Green residency card for EU Citizens and the new TIE Card for British citizens?

The original residency issued to British citizens July 2020 was a paper green card which showed your NIE Number, address and date of birth. The New TIE/TUE Residency Card is plastic and has biometric details such as a photo and finger print on. It is a superior quality card to the old Green Residency card which was impossible to maintain in good condition.

This information is provided by TIE Spain.com and is for people falling into one of the following Categories.

  1. Those legally living in Spain prior to January 1st 2020 who wish to apply under the Brexit withdrawal agreement.
  2. Those who already have a Green Residency card and would like to exchange to a new Biometric TIE card
  3. Those who have been issued a NLV or any other type of visa from the Spanish embassy in the UK.
  4. If you already hold a TIE Card but have lost it click here
  5. People who have a British family member already holding a Spanish TIE Card under the Brexit withdrawal agreement who wish to join their family member in Spain.

For those living in Spain legally before January 1st 2021

The new TIE card system for UK passport holders to apply for residency in Spain was launched by the Spanish government on the 6th July 2020 for people who were legally living in Spain prior to the 1st January 2021, Brexit day.

Following the UK’s decision to leave the EU, Spain allowed British citizens to continue to apply for residency under the old system (green residency card) until the 6th July 2020. From that date on British citizens have been issued the new TIE Card not a Green NIE Card. If you legally lived in Spain before January 1st 2021 you can still apply for the Article 50 Brexit TIE card. Currently there is no cut off date for applying but you should apply as soon as possible.

The important part here is the words ‘legally living’. This means that prior to January 1st 2021 you meet Spain´s criteria for applying for residency. This means you meet the following criteria.

You have a fixed address plus Padron Certificate from the Townhall /Ayuntamiento.

Plus, either…

You was working in Spain, either employed or self employed paying tax and social security and can prove this with work contracts etc


You have fully comprehensive private health insurance in place which started in 2020 plus able to demonstrate proof of funds to support your self. Ideally this should be 7k Euros per person applying. Ideally this should be in a euro account but some areas also accept the proof in UK accounts.

If you meet the above criteria and would like to apply please select the option starting from scratch on our booking page. It is now possible to apply for this online. Once approved you will then need to attend a police station appointment to give your finger prints and bio metrics for your new Spanish TIE Card.

You already have a green residency card and would like to upgrade to the NEW Spanish TIE Card

UK passport holders who already held the green card prior to July 6TH 2020 can now upgrade to the new TIE Biometric card. This is a simple upgrade and you do not need to apply for this.

At your finger print appointment you will need the documents we provide you, plus your green card and a Padron Certificate dated in the last 3 months.

The new TIE CARD is a plastic biometric card with your photo and finger print and is far superior to the paper green card previously issued to UK passport holders before July 2020. It can also be used as ID in Spain so there is no need to carry around your passport.

There is currently no legal obligation for green card holders to upgrade to a TIE card. However we strongly recommend doing so as many banks and other institutions are demanding to see this document.

If you already have a green card and wish to exchange your Green card for there new TIE Card click here to get started

You have been issued a VISA from the Spanish embassy in the UK

If you have successfully been issued a NLV from the Spanish embassy you will need to apply for your TIE card within 30 days of arriving in Spain. You will need to show your visa at this appointment plus a Padron Certificate from the local downhill of the town your staying in.

Do Children need A TIE Card?

Yes, in the royal decree issued on the Spanish BOE it set no minimum age for applications for TIE cards. Everyone including children who wish to continue to reside in Spain after the 31st December 2020 must have a TIE Card.

Can I have a family appointment? Do I need to make separate applications for each person?

The police/Spanish government have not made provision for family appointments. Everyone must have their own appointment including children. there is no way currently to have a group appointment.

Each person applying on the TIE Card Spain website need to have their own order.

I have lost my Green residency card, can I still use the one appointment TIE CARD system?

If you have lost your Green Residency card you will need to have a police report to supplement your TIE Card application at the police station. Go to your nearest police station to report your card lost/stolen and ensure you get a copy of the police report.

Information above provided by TIE CARD SPAIN.COM

If you require assistance applying for your TIE card Contact -

TIE CARD SPAIN.COM who are now also providing this service


Have you applied for your TIE card? share your experience in comments below.

Have Your Say

Comments (0)
No Internet Connection