Spanish Social Security Number

How to – Apply for your Spanish Social Security Number

Why do I need it?

Every person who works for a registered company or is self-employed in Spain is required to have a Spanish Social Security Number, called anúmero de afiliación de la Seguridad Social. Social Security is generally paid for by an employer. This number also helps track pensions, unemployment and sick days, as well as maternity or paternity leave.

If you require help with this we recommend PMR in Alfaz

Any foreigner working or studying in Spain is entitled to a Spanish Social Security number, necessary for tax purposes as well as contracting and all procedures related to labor and work. Petitions are made at the Instituto Nacional de Seguridad Social, which also handles pensions, disability, motherhood and fatherhood, death and survival and public health care.

The Spanish Social Security system benefits all workers who are active within it. Each calendar day cotizado, that a worker has been employed, counts towards your Spanish pension and unemployment benefits, so be sure to check that your place of work has given you the activation, called an alta.


Any citizen or worker, whether employed by another person or self -employed, who does not already have a social security number may request one.

The Employer must request the social security number of the person they intend to hire, if they do not already have one.

What is involved – Form TA1, must be signed by the applicant –  which you can download here.

It looks impressive, especially if you do not speak Spanish, but is in fact quite easy to fill in if you know what you are supposed to do: give your name, ID details and reason for requesting for a social security number.
Fill the form to your best, and print another one for when you will go to the relevant office.

Help! How do I fill out the form?

Here’s the important information you’ll have to fill out:

Section 1: Personal data

1.1  : First Surname / Second Surname (if applicable) / First name

1.2 : Gender (M for mujer or female, V for varón or male)

1.3 : Type of ID (mark with an X): Spanish DNI number / Foreigner’s Card / Passport

1.4 : Number on your identification document

1.5 : Social Security number (if applicable)

Date of birth / father’s full name / mother’s full name

Place of birth / province of birth / country of birth

1.6 Disability (if applicable) / nationality /maiden name (if applicable)

1.8 Street Address

1.9 Email address /option to have information sent by text message / Mobile phone number

Section 2: Relevant Social Security Data

Mark with an X: Activation of Social Security / Number Assignment for Social Security / Change in data

2.1: Cause for data change (if marked X)

2.2 Listing of any accompanying documentation

Section 3: Option to have data sent to a second address added for communication purposes

At the bottom left, the solicitor and his or her employer must, write the place and date, then sign in this format:

En Sevilla, el 5 de julio de 2016

By filling out a form and presenting your original and a photocopy of a passport or another form of ID, you will be given a número de afiliación de la seguridad social. Keep in mind that you won’t be given an actual card like you might have in your home country, so be sure to keep the official form with your number for tax purposes.

Documentation needed –

  • National ID and Passport if you have both,
  • Residency papers:If you are a EU citizen, only the NIE number if you already have one. For non-EU, Residency and/or Visa.
  • Not required officially but always good to have with you if you have them: rental contract, employment contract, escrituras if you have bought a property in Spain.

(always take 2 copies with you just in case they are needed, as these offices do not provide copying services)

Where is it processed

In Person – The application and documentation must be presented at  the office of the Social Security Treasury General or Administration. which is local to the person or company applying for the number.

On-Line – By accessing the e-office´s “Allocation of Social Security Number” service, using a digital certificate

  • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • www.benidorm.org
  • Teléfono: 966815454
  • Fax: 966815501
03501 Benidorm (Alacant/Alicante)

The decision on the application will be made and the applicant notified within 45 days, after this period the application shall be understood as being accepted.


Health care is one of the biggest assets of being in the social security system, and your employer covers the necessary fee for your basic care. In most regions, general doctor visits and emergency care are free at public clinics and hospitals.

Prescriptions and surgeries are not covered under the social security umbrella and must be paid for after care has been administered, though often at a reduced cost. Note that dental care is not part of the social security system and must therefore be paid out of pocket. For more information, contact a social security office in your region.

Every autonomous region has its own regulations for the administration and compensation, as well as rules related to the type of contract you possess, so visit your nearest office or ask a lawyer.

Changing your UK Driving Licence to a Spanish Licence

Changing your UK Driving Licence to a Spanish Licence

Changing your UK Driving Licence to a Spanish Licence - This can be a complex subject to work through.  We recommend you contact PMR Spain for Assistance

23rd June Important Updates *Validity of UK driving licences extended to 31 October 2021*

We know that many of you have been anxious that the recognition of UK driving licences was set to end on 30 June. We are pleased that the Spanish Government yesterday announced that UK licences will continue to be recognised until 31 October 2021 for those of of you who were resident in Spain before 31 December 2020 – even if you did not get your residency document until after the end of the Transition Period. This extension applies whether you registered your intention to exchange your licence with the DGT before 30 December 2020 or not. You can see the Spanish Government’s announcement here: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/.../20210622_NOTA140.aspx.... Please note that if you arrived after 1st January, your licence will only remain valid for six months from your arrival in Spain.

If you need help with this process contact PMR

This does not affect the current arrangements for driving licence exchange. If you did not register to exchange your licence with the DGT before 30th December 2020 and wish to exchange your UK driving licence now, you would need to follow the DGT process for non-EU nationals, which includes taking a driving test. However, negotiations are underway between the UK and Spanish Governments on arrangements for the future exchange of UK driving licences without the need for a practical test. As soon as we have further information on this we will share it here

Driving in the UK with a Spanish Licence

You can use your Spanish licence in the UK for short visits, or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test.


If you submitted the request for the redemption, replacement or extraordinary renewal of a British driving licence before 31st December 2020 you have the possibility to redeem your permit under the same conditions prior to BREXIT.

In person, in the Headquarters or Traffic Office where you will submit the prior request for extraordinary redemption:

You will be able to make your appointment 3 business days after submitting your application and during the first 6 months of 2021 if we have not communicated any anomalies to you.

The appointment must be requested at the Headquarters or Traffic Office where you made the request for redemptions with 'Type of procedure': 'Office procedures' and then in 'Area' the area of your head office referring to drivers.

On the day of your appointment you must go to our offices in person and provide all the requested documentation and a pre-check will be made that the request was made in a timely way.

Step 1

Submit your application to exchange to the DGT (Spanish Traffic Authority) before 30 December. You can do this:

electronically via the DGT’s online portal (if you have a digital signature ‘firma digital’ or

by using the Cl@ve app or

by calling 060

In some provinces, you may be able to submit your application in person at your local office. Check with your local office before you go.

Check you have requested the correct exchange option on the application form:

if your licence has expired, or is due to expire in the next few months, you should choose ‘renovación’

if you have lost your licence, or it has been stolen, you should choose ‘sustitución’

for all other requests, choose ‘canje’

Step 2

three days after you submit your application, request an appointment, using the DGT’s website, to complete the final exchange

if you submitted your application before 30 December, and the DGT has verified your licence by the end of 2020, your DGT appointment to exchange your licence can be after 1 January 2021. It must, however, be before 30 June 2021

you will have to give your UK licence to the Spanish Traffic Authority at your appointment. They will provide a temporary driving permit (‘autorización temporal para conducir’) to use until your Spanish licence is processed. This document is only valid in Spain and not in any other country

You can exchange your driving licence in a different province to the one you live in. You can also instruct a representative (such as a registered ‘gestor’) to complete the process for you.

If you live in Spain but are not yet registered as a resident, you may be able to submit your application to exchange if you have a foreigners’ identity number (NIE). However, you must have a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE) when you attend your appointment to complete the licence exchange.

Whether your UK licence has been verified for exchange by the end of 2020 or not, you will be able to drive in Spain using your UK licence until 30 June 2021.

Read full information on the special measures for UK licence holders on the Spanish Traffic Authority website (use the option in the top-right hand corner to translate pages to English). Future rules on exchange and recognition of UK licences are not yet agreed.

Driving in the UK with a Spanish licence

Until 31 December 2020, you can still use your Spanish licence in the UK for short visits or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test.

These rules may change from 1 January 2021. We will update this page once more information is available.

Lost, stolen or expired UK licences

If you live in Spain, you will not be able to renew your driving licence in the UK. If your UK licence is lost, stolen or expired, you will need to apply to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) for a ‘certificate of entitlement’ to be able to apply for a Spanish driving licence.

As long as your application has been submitted before 30 December, and the UK authorities have verified your licence by the end of the year, your appointment to exchange your licence can be after 1 January 2021, provided it is within the first 6 months of next year. Please note that you will need a residency certificate/TIE to do final exchange, so if you are in the process of applying for residency you may want to choose a later date for your appointment.

Irrespective of whether a UK licence has been verified for exchange by the end of the year, you will be able to drive in Spain using your UK licence for 6 months from 1 January 2021. The future rules on exchange and recognition of UK licences are still subject to negotiation.

Good News! There appears to be a new web page set up today on the DGT for the exchange of your UK driving licence for a Spanish one. i.e. specifically for post Brexit compliance.


Changing your UK Driving Licence to a Spanish Licence  - Paperwork required

An official application form which can be downloaded from the Traffic Department and is on the website of the DGT - link above
Proof of identity (passport)
Residencia/TIE (and copy)
Padron (proof of your address from the town hall) renewed within
the last three months
Driving Licence card and counterpart
A recent photograph 32mm x 26mm
Payment of 23.50€

Booking the medical 

We would advice you book your appointment 1st before getting your medical as this is only valid for 3 months.

Imed Levante Hospital this is the cheapest place to go in the area. call into the hospital and speak to the reception staff (most speak English).  Appointments are made between the hours of 11am - 2pm and 6pm and 8pm the current cost (August 2018) is 43.70€.  It may be possible to get an appointment for the same day.

When you return for your appointment 1st go to the reception desk and they will check you in and take payment you will then be directed to level -2 (lift right opposite the reception desk), when you get out of the lift turn left and follow the corridor to a door marked "Reconocimiento Medico" and wait to be called, make sure you have your residencia and passport with you.

Europa clinic Benidorm - Fees are 48€ if you wish your new licence to just be for car and bike and 53€ to include everything on your existing licence.  There is no need to make an appointment just turn up and wait to be seen, take with you your, residency and current driving licence.  Here you will only be expected to take one test for your reaction times.

The medical examination

The first thing they will do is take your photo, you will then be asked a few standard questions about your medical and psychological health, and details from your residencia taken, you will then be asked to sign an electronic key pad. When answering these questions be honest if you wear hearing aids say so and if you have a pacemaker make sure you mention this.  If you do not and a licence is granted and you have an accident you will not be covered by your insurance and may lose your licence.

Test 1 - Eye site, both eyes will be tested individually and then together, this is a simple test and just requires you reading back a few registration numbers.

If you wear glasses or contact lenses, you’re tested with these and your licence with be marked to indicate this (remember, you must carry a spare pair when driving).

Test 2 - Hearing test, you will be placed in a sound proof booth and asked to press a button when hearing a sound.

Test 3 - You will be sat in front of a screen this part is in 2 tests  in some areas, if you are lucky it is just the one test, this is to check reaction times etc, the first test is quite simple you will be asked to follow a red ball along a blue line, this then goes into a blank space you have to press the button when you think the ball will have left the blank space.

The 2nd part of this test is much harder, you will see two red wavy lines with a white ball, these red lines will move and you have to keep the white ball in-between the red lines, go outside these lines and the machine will beep, dont be alarmed, we had quite a few beeps and still passed. the only way to describe this test is imagine playing the old fashioned pac man video game but playing 2 games at once.

If you wear hearing aids it will be mentioned on your licence that you MUST wear these when driving, if you have a pacemaker the time of you new licence will be reduced and you will have to go back and renew it more regularly for example a regular licence for 5 years will be reduced to 3.

The medical certificate is valid for 90 days, to enable you to make your application for a licence (or a renewal).

Where to go

Calle Catedratico Ferre Vidiella, 4, 03005 Alicante

You will find blue zone parking on the streets in this area.

Upon arrival of the DGT office

As you walk in the door there will be a security guard on the front desk who will point you in the direction of a ticket machine, enter your NIE number into the machine and take the ticket, then wait for your number to be called and go to the appropriate desk.

Payment is made by card.

You will then be given a temporary licence which will permit you to drive until your new licence is delivered, this is valid for 3 months, but some licences are taking longer than this to be processed, be patient


A full Spanish driving licence is valid for 10 years between the ages of 18 and 45; between the ages of 45 and 70 it remains 5 years; and beyond 70 years old the validity period remains 2 years. (this may be changed for medical reasons as stated above)

You 'should' receive a letter advising you of the need for renewal as long as your address details are current, but do not rely on this being sent.

To renew your Spanish driving licence you will need to present all your documents at your nearest ‘Jefatura de Trafico’ at least 3 months before the old licence expires, including a new ‘solicitud’ (download as before), your old licence, your residencia, NIE and ‘empadromiento’ (proof of address from town hall) three photographs, and a Certificate of Aptitude from an Authorised Drivers Check Centre (Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores Autorizado) in your province. (medical as above).

To Check the progress of your Driving Licence applications use this webpage, entering your nie number and date of birth.

NIE paperwork


How to get your NIE number  You now need to make an appointment on line, and you can now print and fill in the forms online using form 790, some people are still being sent to Alicante and some to the Benidorm Police office.  Use this link -  https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icpplus/index.html   Please NOTE, this link does not work correctly from mobile devices.

You can of course pay someone to do all the hard work for you -Contact PMR, or  'Book your NIE Number Appointment today'  https://mynie.co.uk 

Once you have your appointment and paid the correct fee of  9.54€  (this fee has recently risen) the procedure below will still be the same.

WHAT IS A SPANISH NIE NUMBER - Please note this is NOT Residency, which is now the TIE CARD

Spanish NIE

The Spanish NIE number, short for Numero de Identificacion de Extranero, is a Foreigner Identification Number issued by the Administracion General del Estado (General Administration of the State) and is a fiscal identification number for foreigners who want to stay more than 3 months in Spain, or in order to be able to process certain transaction in Spain like buying/renting a property.

The equivalent of NIE for Spaniards is the NIF (Numero de Identificacion Fiscal)

The NIE number is different from the Empadronamiento or Padron Municipal which is about getting registered in your living community.

The Spanish NIE number starts with a letter, followed by seven numbers and another letter in the end (example X – 1234567 – B). Each NIE number is dedicated to one person and it is neither transferable nor does it expire.

Why it is important?

The Spanish NIE number is basically used as a code to serve people who don’t have Spanish Nationality. It is of essential for virtually every activity that requires your identification. Many people are not aware of the real importance of the NIE number. For example, your very first steps after moving to Spain, like opening a bank account and getting internet/phone contracts, will require a NIE.

The Spanish NIE number is important for those who have a professional or economic interest in Spain.


o Buying or selling a home.
o Signing a mortgage loan.
o Property register and Notaries Public Offices.

o Local: census; certificates of occupancy of the home; property tax; vehicle tax; capital gains; works licences, business opening licences, etc.
o Justice: civil register, free legal assistance, etc.
o Health: health care card.

Social security
o Obtaining a social security number.
o Applying for services from the INEM (Spanish employment institute).
o Exportation of unemployment benefits from a Member State of the European Economic Space.

Economic relations
o Opening an account in a bank.
o Setting up a business or enterprise.
o Settling state and regional taxes: Income tax for non-residents (IRNR); corporate tax (IS); value-added tax (IVA, VAT); inheritance and gift tax (ISD), etc.
o Buying a vehicle.
o Driving licence.
o Schools for minors, academic studies or university studies.
o Approval and certification of titles and studies.
o Grants and subsidies for studies.
o Electricity and water supply contracts.

How to get NIE number – step by step

Step 1: Make an appointment online.

You have to make an appointment online first before coming in person; otherwise you will not be served. To do that, click on this link and choose “Acceder al Procedimiento” at the bottom.

  • Click Aceptar
  • Click Entrar
  • Fill in your information:
    • Choose PASAPORTE and enter your passport number below
    • Nombre y apellidos = name and surname
    • País de nacionalidad = your nationality
    • In Caracteres enter what you see on the picture above
    • Click Aceptar
    • choose your date and time
    • add your email address, you will get a confirmation email sent to you with the time and date, print this off and take it with you

Step 2: Fill in form 790 HERE 

Print all 4 pages and pay the necessary fee of 9.64 at the bank. Take your passport with you in case they ask for extra ID.

This form can now only be filled in online and printed out to take to the bank. It is no longer given out at police stations nor immigration offices and cannot be filled in by hand.

The form is very quick to complete and can be filled in by clicking here. You complete it then press the blue button at the end to get a copy you can print out and sign.

Guidance notes: As the form is in Spanish, below  is some advice in English for guidance only (as at March 2018 and subject to change).

Step 3: Fill in the application form

The Spanish NIE number application form you need to find is called EX – 15 Solicitud de Numero de Identidad de Extranjero NIE y Cert .

The form will obviously be in Spanish.


1er Apellido: Surname
2º Apellido : (second Surname) Write three chiffons instead (---)
Nombre : Christian Name (make sure to use same as in passport)
Fecha de Nacimiento: Date of birth (use two digits for day and month)
Lugar de nacimiento: Place of birth
Sexo : Gender “H” for Male (Hombre) and “M” Female (Mujer) . X cross the one applicable
Estado Civil: Status. S for single C for married. V for widow and D for divorced
País de nacimiento: Country of Birth
País de nacionalidad: Current Nationality
Nombre del padre: Father´s name
Nombre de la madre: Mother´s name
Domicilio en España: Address in Spain (if you have one, otherwise leave blank) - Localidad: Town, CP: Postcode, Provincia: Province

Reasons for application:
Economic, Professional or Social (Tick professional for work reasons or social for house purchase)

Leave blank

Sign the form at the bottom, under 'firma de solicitante'.

Step 4: Prepare all the necessary documents (checklist)

  • Passport and copy of all pages
  • Address in Spain
  • Completed EX-15 formula
  • 2 recent Passport photos
  • copy of form 790 proving you have paid the fee
  • Document proving why you need a Spanish NIE number, which differs depending on your intentions. In most cases it is:
    • a contract showing that you’re going to buy a property in Spain like real estate, car, etc. or
    • employed:  job contract from the Spanish company or
    • self-employed: a company ownership certificate or
    • persons with sufficient funds: proof that you can live in Spain without working or
    • students: acceptance letter from the school or
    • job seekers: you can go only with passport, but you will be issued a temporary NIE number valid only for 3 months.
  • non-EU citizens will need the additional proof of legal entry into Spain (for instance a landing card, known in Spanish as a declaración de entrada)

Step 5: Go to the authorized office 

You can apply for NIE number at police stations with a Oficina de Extranjeros (Foreigners Office).

Benidorm Police Station -

Carrer Apolo XI, 31, 03501 Benidorm,  Map HERE

Alicante Police Station -

Address: Calle de la Ebanistería, 4-6, 03008 Alicante

Phone: 965 01 93 00

Opening Hours:

Tuesday 9AM–2PM
Wednesday 9AM–2PM
Thursday 9AM–2PM
Friday 9AM–2PM
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Monday 9AM–2PM

#Useful tips:  Get there early, even with the appointment system, as they will only allow so many NIE applications in one day. It is possible you will have to wait in the queue for hours until your turn at the office, so bring something that can keep you occupied for example a book or a magazine.

Step 6: useful Spanish terms

Some simple Spanish phrases that you might need:

Hello! I would like to apply for NIE number = Hola ! Me gustaría obtener mi número de identidad de extranjero (NIE) .

Where can submit my NIE application? = ¿ Dónde puedo inscribirme?

I have an appointment to get my NIE = Tengo una cita para obtener mi número de identidad de extranjero (NIE).

Step 7: keep calm and wait for it

After submitting all the documents, a photocopy of the application, a paper indicating when the card is available (keep it safe, you will need to show it to them later when you pick up your NIE card) and your passport will be returned to you. Usually after two weeks the NIE card should be available to pick up, but the process can sometimes take as long as 6 weeks. So stay patient! Generally in this area they take 1 week. Some NIE number are now being giving on the same day and you are requested to come back at a certain time. 

Apply for NIE number before you come to Spain

It is also possible to apply for Spanish NIE number before coming to Spain, either by asking the Spanish consulate in your country or using a specialised agency of which many are available online, and the fees vary as well. But since you have read our guide, getting it all on your own won’t be such a pain.

What happens if I lose my N.I.E.?

Your N.I.E. is your life time number so it does not have to be renewed but if you lose it a duplicate must be obtained and you have to apply again in person. The procedure is the same as for a new application. Keep the original document in a safe place and have copies for everyday use. It is seldom that the original is requested

If I change my surname do I have to change my N.I.E?

If your surname changes due to marriage or divorce the N.I.E. must be re-applied for presenting your new passport or I.D. document at the National Police office in your locality. You will retain the same number but a new, correct, document will be issued.

If I change my address in Spain do I have to change my N.I.E?

NO - it is not necessary to change your actual N.I.E. document at the National Police office.

How To Register for Autonomo

How To Register for Autonomo

How To Register for Autonomo - What is Autonomo?

Autonomo status is the Spanish equivalent of self-employed or freelance and in addition covers people operating (unincorporated) small businesses. Anyone engaged in any of these activities is obliged to legalise them with respect to registration, paying the taxes and charging IVA (VAT).

Autonomo will set you back costs of just under €300 monthly in social security payments, this figure is dependant upon age. This figure stays the same, it does not matter how much or how little you earn each month, (there’s a discount during the first two years), as well as 9-21% of your net profits in income tax. And don’t forget about VAT.


How To Register for Autonomo

Information updated January 2021

If you do not have residency in Spain, from January 2021 you now need to apply for a SELF-EMPLOYMENT WORK VISA.

It does not apply to EU citizens or to nationals of countries to whom EU law applies, for being beneficiaries of the rights of free movement and residence.

NEED FOR RESIDENCY PERMIT IN THE UK It is an essential requirement to be in possession of a valid UK residence permit, and apply for a visa before moving to Spain. You must not be irregularly in the Spanish territory or within the period of no return to Spain that the foreigner has assumed when voluntarily returned to their country of origin.

JURISDICTION OF THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF SPAIN IN LONDON You can check if your place of residence is under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Spain in London through this website: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/LONDRES/es/Consulado/Paginas/Demarcacion.aspx

APPOINTMENT REQUESTS Applicants must request their appointment through the following procedure: Sending an email to the following address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

In the SUBJECT they must specify the type of residence visa they wish to apply for. The TEXT of the message should state: -

PERSONAL DETAILS of the applicant (full name, nationality, passport number and telephone number) -

TYPE OF RESIDENCE VISA you wish to apply for. -

REASONS for the request. -

DESIRED DATE for the appointment at the Consulate General (only on TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS of each week, between 09:30 and 12:00).

The final date and time of the appointment will be confirmed through email. Applicants who wish to cancel their appointment are kindly requested to notify the Consulate as soon as possible. No applicant will be accepted without prior appointment, each appointment being only for one person, therefore, family members accompanying the applicant who wish to apply for a visa need to book an additional appointment. This Consulate General will not accept appointments that have not been requested in accordance with the aforementioned procedure. Both, the request for authorisation for self-employment work and the subsequent visa, must be applied personally, the application will only be accepted through a representative with a notarised authorisation, where there is justified reason or, in the case of minors, through their parents or legal guardians.

In the case of a positive answer, the applicant must collect personally their visa within one month from the date of notification. Failure to do so, it will be understood that they have renounced the visa granted, and the procedure will be closed.

The consular office, on the basis of a substantiated reason and in addition to the required documentation, reserves the right to request additional documentation or the personal appearance of the applicant without this implying the approval of the visa.

All official documents (birth certificate/death, marriage certificate/divorce, criminal record) must be legalised through the consular representations of the issuing country or, in the case of signatory countries to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, hold the Hague Apostille, except official documents issued by a Member State of the European Union, which will not require to be legalised. If your application is refused, you will not be refunded the fee you paid at the time of your application.

SUBMISSION DEADLINE The visa can be applied for up to 90 days before the desired date of entry into Spain.

REQUIREMENTS When applying for a visa, you must submit a photocopy of all the original documents that you want to be returned to you at the end of the procedure. This consulate does not make photocopies.

I. APPLICATION FOR AUTHORISATION FOR RESIDENCE AND SELF-EMPLOYMENT: 1. Fill in the EX-07 form of ‘Autorización de residencia temporal y trabajo por cuenta propia’.

2. Fill in the ‘Autorización inicial de residencia temporal’ fee self-assessment form 790-052, to be paid at the Consulate on the day your application is accepted.

3. Fill in the ‘Autorización inicial de trabajo por cuenta propia’ fee self-assessment form 790-062, to be paid at the Consulate on the day your application is accepted.

4. Valid passport or travel document, recognised as valid in Spain. It must have a minimum validity of the duration of the stay and at least two blank pages. Photocopy of all passport pages.

5. Work Permits or Licenses that sanction the building, opening and operation of the planned project or the professional activity, including the information regarding the stage of the process and, if corresponding, certificates of applications filed with competent authorities.

6. Business Plan of Activities that will be carried out, with the anticipated investments shown, your projected profits and the possible amount of jobs created and proof of sufficient economic funds, or contracts of investments or loans from financial institutions. There must be evidence of sufficient funds to establish and maintain employment indefinitely.

7. Proof of having the legally required professional qualification or sufficient experience of carrying on professional activity, as well as professional registration when required.

8. Proof of having sufficient economic funds for covering maintenance and accommodation costs. If the origin of these funds is the self-employed professional activity, it will be evaluated after discounting the necessary costs to cover the maintenance of professional activity.

II. VISA APPLICATION: In case the authorization for residence and self-employed work is granted, the applicant must personally apply for visa within ONE MONTH from receiving the notice of the authorization grant, providing the following documents: 1. National visa form complete, dated and signed. It can be downloaded free of charge on the website: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/LONDRES/en/Consulado/Documents/Solicitud%20nacional%20ES.pdf

2. Recent passport photograph with white background. Information on the requirements to be met by photographs can be found in the ICAO document. This Consulate does not accept digital retouching on identity photographs.

3. Valid passport or travel document, recognised as valid in Spain. It must have a minimum validity of the duration of the stay and at least two blank pages. Photocopy of all passport pages.

4. Valid UK residence permit and photocopy. Visa applications submitted by non-residents who are in the UK on a C-Visit stay visa will not be accepted.

5. Certificate of criminal record (only in the case of persons over 18 years of age, criminal age in Spain) issued by the country or countries where the applicant has resided within the five years preceding the date of the visa application. It cannot be older than 3 months, unless the certificate itself specifies a longer expiration.

These certificates must be legalised through the consular representations of the issuing country or, in the case of signatory countries to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, hold the Hague Apostille, except official documents issued by a Member State of the European Union, which will not require to be legalised. Sworn translation into Spanish is also required.

6. Medical certificate, issued no later than 3 months prior to the date of application, it must be formulated in the following terms or similarly:

If the medical certificate is issued in the United Kingdom: “This health certificate states that Mr./Mrs. (…) does not suffer from any of the diseases that may have serious public health repercussions in accordance with what is stipulated by the International Health Regulations of 2005” Certificates issued in the United Kingdom must be accompanied by a sworn translation into Spanish.

If the medical certificate is issued in Spain: “Este certificado médico acredita que el Sr./Sra. (…) no padece ninguna de las enfermedades que pueden tener repercusiones para la salud pública graves, de conformidad con lo dispuesto en el reglamento sanitario internacional de 2005” The Consulate does not provide information about medical centres that issue this certificate.

The applicant may contact any public or private medical centre duly accredited in the territory of the United Kingdom or Spain. Medical certificates issued in countries other than the United Kingdom or Spain will not be accepted.

7. Pay the relevant visa fee at the Consulate on the day your application is accepted. (ENTREPRENEUR VISA - £966)

NOTICE: This information is intended to serve as a guide for visa applicants. While we try to make it as accurate and up-to-date as possible, Benidorm Seriourly does not assume any legal or other liability for its accuracy and refers to existing Schengen and national regulations.

How to register for Autonomo

How To Register for Autonomo

When do you have to register as autonomo?

If you are earning money in Spain and are not employed or conducting the business through a company.  If the business is incorporated and is a "one person" company, then the sole director (administrador) will be classified autonomo in any case.  If you are working for a Spanish company owned by someone else, then you should either have an employment contract with it or be invoicing the company for your services, which will require autonomo registration.

Unfortunately the rules are quite strict and for any earnings, autonomo registration is required.

Naturally enough this strict interpretation leads many people to accept cash in hand payments rather than register.  The question then arrises - is it possible to declare the income for tax?  The answer is no - unless you comply with the autonomo registration obligation to begin with, it is not possible to declare the income in your annual tax return.  Nor is it possible to provide an invoice to the customer for your service and then for them to deduct the expense against their taxes.  This is because there is no IVA threshold in Spain - all businesses and self-employed must charge IVA (though some activities and goods are exempt - and only registered businesses, autonomo or companies, can issue proper IVA invoices.  In summary, there is no grey area, earnings are either fully legal or fully "black" - not invoiced and subject to IVA, unregistered and undeclared.

How To Register for Autonomo

What's involved?

FEEL this is all a bit too complex to handle on your own get a professional to help you with the process.

Registering autonomo is essentially a two step process: registering as self-employed with the tax office (Agencia Tributaria) and joining the autonomo social security system (Regimen Especial de Trabajadores Autonomos RETA).  Both are reasonably straightforward and the only real requirements are -

There are no requirements to show any business plans, capital or prove professional qualifications.  Joining the autonomo social security system RETA does require that you are already in the social security system and this involves another fairly simple registration process.  Similarly the Agencia Tributaria would expect you to be registered as a resident taxpayer which involves completing a another form (Modelo 30).

That is the bare minimum requirement for registering as self-employed but there may be other steps to go through, depending on the type of business.  For example anyone opening premises to the public will require an opening licence called a "licensia de apertura".  This is obtained from the local town hall and will be granted according to local by laws, after passing an inspection by a municipal expert ("tecnico"), payment of fees, presentation of other documentation and certificates and undertaking any other remedial work demanded by the town hall (e.g. sound proofing, emergency exits, hygiene facilities).  In practice hiring a private tecnico to assist with this process is normally required.  It is important to note that the licensia does not belong to the building but to the person who took it out; therefore if you buy a business you will need to reapply for a licensia even if nothing has changed and you are operating from the same premises.

And then there are the ongoing obligations applicable to all autonomos,

How To Register for Autonomo

tax and VAT (IVA) returns on a quarterly basis

keep up social security payments (monthly)

issue properly drawn-up invoices, including IVA and - where appropriate - income tax retentions. 

keep accounting records according to the legal standard including income accounts, expense accounts, supporting invoices for expenses and accounts of capital items, being goods used in the business with a life more than 1 year and which can be depreciated (expensed) over a period of time.  These accounting records will be absolutely essential if you are selected for inspection by the tax.

How To Register for Autonomo

Choosing the right classification

There are two types of autonomo - commercial and trading businesses (autonomo empresarial) and professionals or freelancers (autonomo profesional).  Within these broad classifications there are individual sub-classifications depending on the type of business or professional activity being undertaken.  The Agencia Tributaria and Social Security offices both have their own classification systems. Many prospective self-employed people could choose which classification they are to be and they can have some important effects on the timing and structure of tax payments.

Deregistering / winding up

One of the positive things about the autonomo classification is that it is relatively simple to de-register.  Use the same forms for registering (dar la alta in Spanish) to de-register (dar la baja), being the modelo 36 or 37 in the case of the Agencia Tributaria and the TA 521 for social security.  As with registration, do the Agencia before the social security office who will want to see the de-registration for tax purposes before they will take you out of RETA.  Failing to leave RETA properly by filling in the forms will expose you to continuing social security liabilities (just cancelling the standing order is not enough). Also remember that you will still have to do an annual income tax declaration (la Renta) in the year following your last year as an autonomo.

NOTE: once you de-register from RETA your health system card should still be valid for 3 further months.

How To Register for Autonomo

A BASIC STEP BY STEP GUIDE - if unsure employ a Spanish Accountant/Gestor

1) Getting the appointment: Cita Previa. Here, the system will guide you through the following steps:

(You should click on the link to understand these steps better)

  • First they’ll ask you for identification – Identificación
    • NIE number – IE: X-1234567-D
    • Family Name – Primer Apellido (Spaniards have two)
  • Then they’ll ask you to select a procedure – Selección Procedimiento. You’ll have to choose the option of Economic Activity Tax or Impuesto de Actividades Económicas (IAE), first by clicking on: Gestión Censal y acreditación certificado digital; and then: 036/037. IAE. NIF. Etiquetas y cambio de domicilio
  • Now you have to choose your area – Selección Zona. You only need to enter your Post Code number (5 digit code. For example, Benidorms code is 53053.
  • Finally, confirm your appointment! To set up your appointment with Hacienda, you’ll have to follow three more easy steps:
    • Select a date – Selección Fecha
    • Select a time – Selección Horario
    • Click on: Confirmation – Confirmación

2) Signing up in Hacienda for Impuesto de Actividades Economicas (IAE)

Signing up for IAE used to be a tedious task. Today, but it’s surprisingly fast. You just need to show up with your ID and tell the civil servant that you want to become an autónomo. During this step, you are letting Haciendaknow that you would like to register as a freelancer by filling out Modelo 036 / 037.

The funcionario or civil servant will ask you two questions: when you would like to start your activity and what service you are going to offer. Then, he or she will provide you with an “Activity Code” (each profession has a category or code). If your Spanish is good enough, we suggest asking for specific information regarding your activity—IVA, specific retention, etc.

Here are the documents you must bring:

  1. NIE Document
  2. Social Security Number
  3. Bank Account Number

B) Obtaining your Electronic Certificate (Certificado Electrónico)

This will allow you to interact with Hacienda (pay taxes).


How To Register for Autonomo

What you need to do:

  • Install the FRMT certificates.
  • Then apply for your User Certificate. They will send a Code to your email.
  • Prove your identity. Once you receive your code in your email, present your ID card at a Seguridad Social office.
  • Finally, you will be able to download your User Certificate.

C) Becoming Autónomo in Seguridad Social’s eyes.

Last step — registering at Seguridad Social — isn’t as easy as it is with Hacienda. But not to worry; when it comes to getting paid, Spain is highly efficient.

By becoming autónomo in the Seguridad Social and starting to cotizar (‘to pay for social security’ in English), you will be covered by Social Security and you have access to the public health system.

What you need to do:

  • Find your closest offices here.
  • Fill out Modelo TA0521. There are workers at the info desk that will give you the form. Just let them know that you’d like to become an autónomo. They will also give you a piece of paper with a number.
  • Once you see this number on the screen, you only have to give them the following information:
    • Your Social Security Number
    • Your ID card
    • A copy of Modelo 036 / 037 (from Hacienda)
    • FNMT-RCM code to prove your identity (the code that you received in the previous step)

For other information on Paperwork required to live in Spain, check out this section of the website

Applying for Spanish Residency

Applying for Spanish Residency

Official guidance on applying for Spanish Residency.  This information has been proved by the UK.GOV and is correct at the time of publishing. Updated 1st January 2021

register your residency

This guide explains the registration processes you must complete as a UK national living in Spain. You must register both on the central register of foreign nationals (‘registro central de extranjeros’) and with your local town hall (‘padrón municipal’). Children must also be registered on both systems.

UK nationals who plan on living in Spain for more than 3 months must register as a resident and on the padrón at their town hall.

if you need assistance with any residency paperwork when here in Benidorm contact



PMR Spain

If you are not already in Spain and planning the move you need to apply for a visa to obtain permission to live in Spain.  

The cost of the visa to UK citizens is currently 516 UK pounds. 

Note...This residence permit if granted, does NOT ENTITLE THE HOLDER TO WORK IN SPAIN.

British citizens and their family member need a visa for journey undertaken after 31st December 2020 for the purposes of residence, studies for period larger than 90 days, work, professional, artistic or religious activities.

Find more information on Visas HERE

UK nationals living in Spain before 1 January 2021

On 6 July 2020, the Spanish government introduced a new residence document for UK nationals living in Spain who have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement - the Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE). This biometric card explicitly states that it has been issued to the holder under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement.

All UK nationals legally resident in Spain before 1 January 2021 have the right to request this card.

UK nationals who register as resident after 6 July 2020

If you register as resident after 6 July 2020 and are living in Spain before 1 January 2021, you must follow a two-step process to obtain your TIE. If you meet the requirements and your

If you register as resident after 6 July 2020 but were living in Spain before 1 January 2021, you must follow a 2-step process to obtain your TIE. If you meet the requirements and your application is approved you will be issued with the TIE. Children must also be registered and obtain their own TIE.

Read the Spanish government’s residency Q&A for further information on the residency process.

Applying for Spanish Residency


Step 1: Submitting your residence application

You must submit your residence application to the immigration office (Oficina de Extranjeros) in the province where you live.

You can do this electronically (if you have a digital signature ‘firma digital’), in person by appointment at the immigration office or via a third party representative who can submit your application, electronically or in person, on your behalf.

You will need to provide the following documentation:

  • application form EX20
  • passport
  • documentation which demonstrates your residence in Spain before 1 January 2021
  • documentation which demonstrates you meet the EU residence criteria on income and healthcare

Make sure you read the specific instructions provided when submitting your application online or when booking an appointment, on any additional documentation required in your province.

If you submit your application in person, many immigration offices will also require you to provide photocopies of official documents, such as your passport, at your appointment.

Submitting your application electronically

You can submit your residency application and supporting documents using the Spanish administration’s online platform (Sede electronica) as long as you have a digital signature:

  • enter the online portal
  • click ‘continuar nueva solicitud’
  • choose ‘EX-20 - Documento de residencia Artículo 50 TUE para nacionales del Reino Unido (emitido de conformidad con el artículo 18.4 del Acuerdo de retirada)’

Submitting your application in person

To submit your application and documents in person, you must first request an appointment at the immigration office. In many provinces you must do this online via the public administration website:

  • choose your province
  • select ‘trámites oficinas de extranjería’ (if this option is available)
  • choose the option ‘Trámite para la documentación de nacionales de Reino Unido (Brexit)’

In some regions this last option is not available and first time applicants should choose ‘solicitud de autorizaciones’ to request an appointment.

However, in the following regions you must contact the immigration office by telephone or by email.

  • Malaga - call +34 95 298 04 60 and select OPTION 5 to request your appointment
  • Seville - call +34 955 56 94 96 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to request your appointment
  • Barcelona - email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to request your appointment
  • Madrid - email the appointment request form, the EX20 application form and your supporting documentation to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Valencia - email the EX20 application form and your supporting documents to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

If you are not sure how to request an appointment, contact the immigration office in your province.

Applying for Spanish Residency


Children must also be registered as a resident. Even if your child was born and raised in Spain, they are not automatically Spanish citizens. As a general rule, a child born in Spain takes the nationality of his/her parents. Therefore, if you have not done so already, you should take steps as soon as possible to register them on the Spanish systems – both on the central register of foreign nationals (registro central de extranjeros) and with your local town hall (padrón municipal). It’s that back-to-school time of year, so do make sure all your family’s paperwork is in order and make sure your friends know what they need to do too.

Step 2: Applying for your TIE

Once your residency application has been approved by the immigration office you will need to obtain the TIE from the national police.

You must apply for an appointment online.

  • choose your province
  • then “trámites cuerpo nacional de policía” (if this option is available)
  • then “Policía Exp tarjeta asociada al Acuerdo de retirada ciudadanos británicos y sus familiares”

You must attend this appointment at the police station in person with the following documentation:

  • application form EX23
  • passport
  • proof you have paid the fee (via form ‘modelo 790, code 012’ – choose option ‘certificado de registro de residente comunitario’)
  • photograph (you must ensure this meets the Spanish administration’s requirements)

Many police stations will also require you to provide photocopies of official documents such as your passport at your appointment.

You will need to return to the police station with your valid passport to collect the TIE once it is ready.

Read the Spanish government’s residency Q&A for full details of the application process and documentation required.

Applying for Spanish Residency

UK nationals who registered before 6 July 2020

If you registered for residency before 6 July 2020 and have a green paper residence certificate, you do not have to take action. Your green certificate (A4 or credit card-sized) remains valid and proof of your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

You may exchange it for the new TIE if you want to. The Spanish government recommends obtaining the TIE at it is more durable and may simplify some administrative processes. If you want to exchange your green paper certificate for the TIE there is no deadline for doing so.

To start the process you must apply for an appointment online.

  • select your province
  • then ‘trámites cuerpo nacional de policía’ (if this option is available)
  • then ‘Policía Exp tarjeta asociada al Acuerdo de retirada ciudadanos británicos y sus familiares’

You must attend this appointment at the police station in person with the following documentation:

  • application form EX23
  • passport
  • proof you have paid the fee (via form ‘modelo 790, code 012’ – choose option ‘certificado de registro de residente comunitario’)
  • photograph (you must ensure this meets the Spanish administration’s requirements)

Many police stations will also require you to provide photocopies of official documents, such as your passport, at your appointment.

You will need to return to the police station with your valid passport to collect the TIE once it is ready.

Read the Spanish government’s residency Q&A for full details of the application process and documentation required.

Applying for Spanish Residency

Validity and renewal of residence documents

If you apply for the TIE and have been resident in Spain for less than 5 years, you will be issued with a temporary TIE, valid for 5 years. You can apply for a permanent TIE as soon as you reach 5 years total legal residence in Spain. You do not have to wait until the original card has expired.

If you apply for the TIE and have been resident in Spain for more than 5 years, you will be issued with a permanent TIE, valid for 10 years.

You must renew your TIE card if it is about to expire. You must do so in the month before or within 3 months after its expiry date.

Read the Spanish government’s residency Q&A for full details of the application process and documentation required.

How long can you stay out of Spain without risking your residency?

Did you know that under the Withdrawal Agreement (WA) there is a limit to the amount of time you be absent from your host state without losing our residence rights.

If you have permanent residence the permitted absence period is 5 years.

If you hold ordinary residence then the basic permitted absence is a total of 6 months in a 12-month period. This can be extended to “one absence of a maximum of twelve consecutive months for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, study or vocational training, or a posting in another Member State or a third country.” These are just examples and are not exclusive, if in doubt take legal advice from the consulate.

Register on the padrón

If you live in Spain you must register on the padrón municipal. This is a list kept by the town hall of all the people who live in that town.

You must register at the address where you normally live. You cannot be registered on the padrón (‘empadronado’) at more than one address.

You do not need to own a property to register, you can still register if you are renting or live with others.

Registering on the padrón municipal where you live is not the same as registering as a resident in Spain, which is a separate national register called the Registro Central de Extranjeros. See information in the sections above.

How to register on the padrón municipal

Padrón registries are managed by municipal authorities and town halls across Spain. The registration process may vary between regions. You may have to:

  • request an appointment online (cita previa) to register in person
  • submit your application online

Ask at your town hall or consult their website for information on the process to follow in your area.

You register on the padrón by filling in the form provided by your town hall (solicitud de alta). This form may be available to download on your town hall’s website.

Documents for the padrón

When applying in person or online, you will need to present your valid passport as official identification, as well as documentation which shows you live at the stated address such as:

  • your NIE (numero de identidad de extranjero) or residence certificate / card
  • the deeds to your house or a copy of your rental contract
  • a recent utility bill in your name or proof of payment of municipal taxes

Your town hall will issue you with a certificate confirming your registration (certificado de empadronamiento). You may have to return to collect your certificate, but the authorities will complete your registration on the same day.

Some town halls may charge a small fee (for example, the fee in Palma de Mallorca is 1.20 euros).

Applying for Spanish Residency

Benefits of padrón registration

By registering you can:

  • access public services and discounts
  • access income-related benefits and social care
  • receive a reduction in taxes
  • get discounted travel if you are resident on a Spanish island
  • vote in local elections
  • register for local healthcare
  • enrol children in school
  • register a car with a Spanish number plate

Keeping your padrón up to date and de-registering

If you move house within the same municipality, you should request an appointment with your local town hall and update your details by requesting ‘cambio de domicilio’.

If you move to a different municipality, you must register (‘alta’) at your new address but you do not need to de-register from your old address (‘baja’) as it will be processed automatically by your new local authority.

If you decide to leave Spain, you should de-register by requesting ‘Baja por residencia’. Please refer to your local town for further information regarding de-registering procedures

How to request a duplicate copy of your padrón certificate

Once registered, you may find that you need to present a duplicate copy of your padrón certificate issued within the last 3 months when carrying out administrative processes in Spain. It is a requirement at some Extranjeria offices when registering as a resident. It may also be required at civil registries, social services, local education authorities etc.

There are many ways to request a duplicate padrón certificate:

  • in person at your local town hall
  • by completing an online form (if available on your town hall’s website) and requesting the certificate be sent by post to your registered address
  • instantly online, if you have some form of official digital ID such as a certificado digital or by using the Cl@ve app.

You should check with your local authority for information on the options available to you.

Padrón status checks

You must confirm your padrón status every 2 or 5 years in order to remain registered.

If you have a green paper residence certificate (A4 or credit card-sized) or the TIE, your town hall will contact you every 5 years from the date you register to confirm that you still live in the town and wish to remain on the padrón.

If you don’t have a green paper residence certificate (A4 or credit card-sized) or the TIE, your town hall will contact you every 2 years. Your town hall will remove you from the padrón register if they are unable to confirm you still live in the town.

You can check with your town hall that you remain on the padrón register at any time.


Please note this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Spanish authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) nor Benidorm Seriously is not liable for any inaccuracies in this information.



No Internet Connection